11/19/08

0008: Jon B: Don't Talk

Copped the latest Jon B offering yesterday (I'll give it a whirl and let y'all know what I think in a later post). I hadn't seen this cat in a while, so as I picked up his new joint I recalled his older library. And then I got stuck on Don't Talk.

This is a straight-up good-time song. Beautiful dichotomy between the subdued/whispered chorus and the energetic and perpetual beat. This song is smoooooth as hell.

Lyrically it's ideal. Sometimes I don't want to hear someone sing about love or sex or hating or inane things like that. Sometimes, you just want to hear about the little things that happen when you're out and about in a lounge. No angst, no drama - just buying drinks, flirting, and having a good time. 

Reminds me a bit of Musiq's Forthenight

Proof that great songs don't have to be controversial.

No comments:

Post a Comment